Title: Reimagining the University: Beyond the Return to Normal in the Decade Ahead
Author: Jeffrey Selingo
As higher education continues to emerge and adjust to challenges stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, a new paper from Jeffrey Selingo provides leaders with strategies to move toward greater innovation and agility.
Selingo outlines five opportunities for the higher education sector to anticipate and respond to in the coming years in the face of new demands.
- Strengthen the campus “digital backbone”: Creating and sustaining a digital campus of connected strategies to leverage data capabilities and improve engagement and interaction across the campus community.
- Improve the student experience and provide more flexible offerings: Designing and delivering better curricular and co-curricular engagement opportunities and measuring impact to improve student experiences and outcomes.
- Understand different student segments and develop programs and services for them: Using learner segmentation to understand the motivations and needs of today’s students to develop new offerings.
- Develop a new value proposition for learners with a focus on outcomes: Connecting what has been learned to what lies ahead after college for current students and alumni.
- Drive change through public-private partnerships: Expanding partnerships while strategizing toward mission-critical functions to respond to challenges with focus and agility.
Included in the paper are examples of institutions that are exploring how to take advantage of these new opportunities. Selingo concludes by calling on leaders to develop a shared vision that is understood across their teams and staff, organize and make data available across their institution, create a sense of urgency for transformation, and ensure sustainable practices for continuous improvement.
To read the full report, click here.