ACE was among the business, industry, higher education, science, and engineering groups yesterday issuing an urgent call to action for stronger federal policies and investment to drive domestic research and development.
Ten CEOs from U.S. corporations with international reach and 252 organizations from across the country signed “Innovation: An American Imperative,” a document aimed at federal decision makers and legislators.
It underscores the findings—and warnings—contained in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences report, Restoring the Foundation: The Vital Role of Research in Preserving the American Dream.
The signers are urging policy makers to:
• End sequestration’s deep cuts to federal investments in R&D.
• Make permanent a strengthened federal R&D tax credit.
• Improve student achievement in science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM).
• Reform U.S. visa policy.
• Streamline or eliminate costly and inefficient regulations.
• Reaffirm merit-based peer review.
• Stimulate further improvements in advanced manufacturing.